The first permanent settlers (about 30 families) moved into the area in 1864 at the direction of leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They found abundant salt deposits nearby so they named the area “Salina”.

In 1866 troubles with Indians who used the area as their hunting ground (the Black Hawk War (Utah)) forced the white settlers to retreat to the Manti area. They returned to Salina in 1871, organized a militia, and constructed a fort and buildings for a school and a church. At that time they discovered coal deposits in “almost inexhaustible quantities” in the canyon east of the settlement.

A creek north of the settlement was tapped to provide water for irrigation, domestic purposes, and to power various enterprises such as sawmills, grist mills, salt refineries and generation of electricity. The Sevier River was tapped in 1874, and by 1908 the area west of the settlement was being fully cultivated.

In June 1891 the settlement was connected to the state’s railroad system, and that year the central area was incorporated as a town. It soon became the shipping terminal between the area settlements and the rest of the state. In 1913 the town was re-incorporated as a city.[3]

During World War 2, Salina contained a POW camp, housing 250 German prisoners. On July 8, 1945, Private Clarence Bertucci climbed one of the guard towers and took aim at the tents where the prisoners were sleeping. He fired 250 rounds and managed to hit thirty tents in his fifteen-second rampage. By the time a corporal managed to disarm Bertucci, six prisoners were dead and an additional twenty-two were wounded (three would later die of their injuries).[4]

That is the history of Salina,Utah our last atv riding area in Utah, before we headed to Lake City Colorado. We spent 4 nights here and were able to travel to from the trails right from our camp site. Both rides we did were easy rides along forest service roades for the most part. The last ride was a 40 miler, but again on roads.

We left Utah on Saturday and traveled to Grand Junction, Colorado, our stop for the night. Nice campground, Junction West.  Sunday we left for Lake City, arriving at about 2 pm.

Since the spot We usually have was occupied, I set up in the upper level. I thought this would be a good spot. Got leveled, put the internet sat up and got connected. Alas no tv!(trees) Ron connected me tohis sat and we at least had one tuner. Tried to use a splitter to get the second tuner, but no luck. Sometime Monday night I lost internet signal! Thought if I backed up a little I might get a better view, but no luck! So on Thursday I moved to our now vacant spot on the lower level. Again did the sat thing and was unable to get connected! Same spot as last year. Eventually I have been able to get connected for brief periods of time. I believe I have some equipment going bad. Good thing we have our Verizons MIFI card. Tried to get an ATT card, however they will not ship to a General Delivery address and their system would not accept the street address! So a trip to Gunnison will be made in the near future.

Been hanging around. Went to the 101st Army Band Concert on Tuesday night. They were very good. The weather has been WARM mid 80’s, but cool at night.

While walking Brody the other day, we came across 2 buck deer. Young ones. The biggest of the 2 seem curious about Brody and started walking toward us! Brody’s hackles went up, he started to growl. when the buck got within 10 feet, I swung my arms and he bolted, but not far! He watched us as we finished our walk and on the way back as we approached he ran off.

Today started off nice, but then the wind picked up from the south, bringing with it the smoke from the Little Sand fire, near Pagosa Springs. A haze has settled into our valley and the sun filtering through said haze makes everything have a yellow tint, like looking through yellow tinted sunglasses! Starting to clear some now.

Lake City is a tourist destination and it has started! Traffic everywhere. Today was a 50 mile running race from Lake City, through the mountains and back again! Hope the didn’t run into the smoke! Some of the elevations they would run through was up to 11,000 ft or more. Whew, what a run!

Well until the next time, Keep your powder dry and your horse fed!

Happy Trails



This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *